A curated list of resources on how to do the most good.
Inspired by awesome lists.
Feel free to improve this list.
- What is effective altruism?
- The Basics
- Essential reading
- Charity evaluators
- Popular causes
- Join the discussion
- EA Organizations
- See also
What is effective altruism? 1
Effective altruism is about answering one simple question: how can we use our resources to help others the most?
Rather than just doing what feels right, we use evidence and careful analysis to find the very best causes to work on.
Working on a cause is likely to be high impact to the extent that it is:
- Great in scale (it affects many people’s lives, by a great amount)
- Highly neglected (few other people are working on addressing the problem), and
- Highly solvable (additional resources will do a great deal to address it).
- Introduction to Effective Altruism
- Effective Altruism Handbook
- Effective Altruism: How Can We Best Help Others?
- GiveWell - evaluates and promotes outstanding human health interventions
- Animal Charity Evaluators - researching highly effective charities that help animals
Increasingly, donors are choosing to give money to “funds” – organisations which regrant money to the current-best charitable organizations.
- EA Funds - a way to donate more effectively through philanthropic managed funds
- Raising for Effective Giving
- Existential Risk: Diplomacy and Governance
- There’s No Fire Alarm for Artificial General Intelligence
- Morality, Foresight, and Human Flourishing: An Introduction to Existential Risks
Outreach and community-building
Join the discussion
- Find a local EA chapter near you!
- Go to an EA conference
- 80,000 Hours – advice on finding a fun, impactful career
- Centre for Effective Altruism - helping to grow and maintain the effective altruism movement
- Effective Altruism Foundation/Stiftung für Effektiven Altruismus - developing, promoting, and implementing effective altruism
- Foundational Research Institute – examining how humanity can best reduce suffering
- Priority Wiki - a cause prioritization website that anyone can edit
- EA Blogs - an EA blog aggregator
- LessWrong - community blog for rationalists
- Slate Star Codex - a blog about many things, including rationality and effective altruism